Monday 19 November 2007

East Anglian Escapades

This title could actually apply to the next few posts...I've been doing a few fun/exciting things in this area recently. I might go back to London/Paris posts after this (sorry, I'm not very chronological!)

Anyway, this is Cromer and Sheringham. I went there with my parents and godmothers, and two friends and I are going back this Saturday. The return tickets are pretty cheap, and there is a cute tea place in Cromer. Plus, it's the North Sea. When we went it was raining, but that made it feel more English coast-like, if that makes any sense. We also went the day after their flood, and even though it didn't hit them quite as hard, some of the railings were broken and there was a hole smashed in the pier. The sea was also looking really brown; I think from all the stuff it must have dragged up.

We also stopped in the cathedral in Cromer, mostly to dry out. I was looking around in one of the rooms, and they had a plaque for the men of Cromer who died in the World Wars, and then a list of civilians, either from air bombings or from shooting off the sea. It was so strange...we never really have civilian deaths, do we?

And we met this old Welsh man, who told me his "American joke": A nurse was answering phones in an American hospital, and got a call from a woman asking about Minnie Brown in Room 413. The nurse checked her records and said, "Minnie Brown is doing much better, her cholesterol is down, and her blood pressure is back to normal, we can actually release her tomorrow."
"Oh," said the woman on the phone, "that is good news."
"So are you related to Minnie Brown?" asked the nurse. "You seem very concerned for how she is."
"This IS Minnie Brown in 413", said the woman on the phone. "And none of you tell me a damn thing!"
There is some Welsh humor for ya.

So I like Cromer and Sheringham; I bet in the summer they are packed with people going to the seaside on holiday. It's kind of a forbidding view though...it's not friendly water like a lake or even what I've seen of the Atlantic, but I still like it. It makes you think about how much we don't know about the seas and oceans and how we really shouldn't mess with them, because they will always ultimately be more powerful than people. What a good philosophical thought for the day.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hahaha I love how we always make these good, deep points and then say, "hahah I am sooo clever." That is a good point, and I am trying to be sincere.

Goor job, rear.

Harharharhar

Gert