Thursday 27 September 2007

And Then This Bird Almost Sat on my Foot


I went to the Norwich Castle this morning. It used to be used as a prison for about 200 years, so that was rather gruesome--you could see where the prisoners had carved stuff in the walls. They also have a big collection from the "Norwich School of Painters" which is mainly landscapes. I saw a few seascapes which I liked. There was also have a very large collection of pottery and tea services, and I saw the world's largest functioning tea pot! And two mummies.

Afterward, I walked up to one of the oldest sections of Norwich, called Elm Hill. I found a little coffeehouse and got a mocha and croissant and sat outside...I'll admit, I felt rather cosmopolitan. I got to people watch a little, and saw an old man ride by on a bike, and a man and woman with matching shirts, and a lot of little kids. The weather was gorgeous with big cumulus clouds. I was kind of nervous about sitting outside, since within the space of ten seconds it could be raining, but I was lucky today. I brought along an English architectural history book which was, as one could imagine, not overly riveting. I have to do my first hour long lecture a week from Monday (ACK!) so I need to start getting ready for that.

Which brings me to the bird. I happened to look down midway through my croissant, and there was a bird literally two inches from my foot. He was just pecking at random things on the ground, but I jumped about three feet. He was completely oblivious to me being there, so I took a picture, as you can see. I'm not sure if he's a pigeon or what, my ornithological skills are pretty bad! It made me happy, anyway.

2 comments:

Cuzfest 2007 said...

I know how cool sesame street is but I would advise against taking in the pigeons like Bert did. Rats with wings that's what I say. But it does give me another Mary Poppins song..."feed the birds, feed the birds". You should put on all the clothes you brought with you and go the Norfolk Broads with a bag and bread crumbs and sing that song. You'll totally make friends that way.

Anna Wager said...

I think Bert is the sesame street character that I am the most alike, but I'm not planning on adopting any pigeons, don't worry.

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag! Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag!!

That movie is so unbelievably good.