Wednesday 26 September 2007

Stoopid American

I am disliking my accent even more than I usually do. Since I was in Jamestown for more than four months, I had started to forget how nasal my voice actually sounds. My south of Buffalo, Western New York voice is pretty obvious here. Even the words I use sound stupid in my head. I want to say "brilliant" instead of "awesome" and "hiya" instead of "hey". I want to be able to make change without taking 5 minutes to stare at the coins. I want to be able to discern what the English people around me are saying, without having to think so much about it.

I guess that's the whole point of travel, but man, is it frustrating. I feel like some lunatic who wandered into their polite tea party and barged around, breaking up the orderly queues and taking pictures. I'm sure I'll learn to queue up, too...eventually.

It doesn't help that a lot of the American's here are, to put it nicely, morons. I was on the bus a few days ago and this one completely obnoxious girl turned to her friend and said, loud enough for the whole bus to hear, "do you know what I REALLY hate? FAKE Louis Vuitton bags." I sunk down in my seat, hoping that no one would talk to me and hear that my voice was like hers. And maybe it isn't. But I do hope by the end of 3 months I can competently buy a newspapaer, or pay a cab driver, without feeling like a complete lunatic. And that I can say "cheers" without feeling self-concious.

Anyway, that's it.

3 comments:

TaraAnneASaurusRex said...

I'm sorry that you are so frustrated. Maybe, when you have alone time, you should practice working with the currency and change? Pretend you are buying a newspaper so you're not embarrassed next time!

Hope you're having fun!

Cuzfest 2007 said...

AS long as you aren't talking about how cool Chippewa Street (or the Chip Strip)is in Buffalo, I think you're golden. Remember to put an addvertessment in the times like Mary Poppins. I love to laugh...hahahahahahah, loud and long and clear....

Anna Wager said...

T--that's a really good idea to practice making change. I think if I start to learn the different shapes of the coins then that'll definitely help.

Ackley kid--I think you are the only person who calls Chippewa the Chip Strip. WELL DONE, SISTER SUFFRAGETTES!!!