Sunday 23 September 2007

England via Coney Island?


My journey so far:
I left last Sunday from Jamestown to go to Buffalo. Having never flown alone (let alone overseas!!) my parents and I decided I would take the train to Albany and then stay with my grandma for a few days, before going down to New York on Tuesday with my cousin, rather than have to get a connecting flight.

So, we drove to Buffalo and I caught the train from there. Problem was, my suitcase weighed 56 pounds, and the weight limit for the train was 50. I had to lose my shampoo, most of my cosmetics, and put all of my socks in my backpack. It was really funny once I got on the train and had socks stuffed in my coat pockets, but it wasn't funny when I was ransacking my suitcase in the parking lot.

I got to Albany with no problem, and was picked up at the station by my aunt, cousin, and grandma--they were slightly late because they had to stop at a farm stand so gram could buy squash. I spent Monday there and then my cousin Melissa and I took another Amtrak to NY. We were early and needed to kill some time, so where did we go? CONEY ISLAND. Both of us had never been there. I really liked it; it's off season, so there weren't too many people. Dragging my suitcase through multiple subways was a little tricky, though.

After 3ish hours on the subway, we made it to JFK. I counted and the trip overall, including my flight, took about 20 hours. Would I do it this way again? Probably not. But, here's what I would have missed:

-My grandmother telling me not to take any wooden nickels.
-Hanging out with my cousins.
-Watching my cousin Leandra hit a shopping cart in the grocery store parking lot. On purpose.
-Seeing my little cousin Zack get off the bus after Kindergarten.
-We got to take the "A train" subway. I got to say "take the A train" a lot.
-Having a choice of 3 different types of ice cream at my aunt's house.
-Doing the Family Christmas List on the train to the City...I think there are about 40 family members on the List this year. And then eating cherry tomatoes from my aunt's garden on the train.
-Canoing on the Hannacroix Creek.
-Seeing the graffiti on the way into NYC; I always think that's pretty cool.
-Finding a card from my family in my suitcase after I got to England!!!!

The flight was okay. I got a window seat so I could see the takeoff out of the States. It was so pretty, with Queens all lit up, and then spreading out to the rest of NYC. When we landed, I could see some houses through the fog, then some tiny cars, and finally the Thames. I landed in London, took the bus to Norwich, and now I'm here.

2 comments:

TaraAnneASaurusRex said...

Did you ever get new shampoo and cosmetics? I think I would have ditched other things first before those!

Anna Wager said...

I bought some things in Albany and some over here...it made my suitcase much lighter, I will say that!