Thursday 27 September 2007

My Mad Culinary Skills

Tonight I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and carrot and coriander soup, from a packet. It was the first hot meal I've tried to cook in our kitchen that didn't involve the microwave. It was probably the worst sandwich I've ever made...I am good at grilled cheese in a pan, but I don't have a pan. I tried this in the toaster oven, so it wasn't very crispy. I think if I toast the bread first it'll be good. Live and learn! I was doing this the same time one of my flatmates was making rice and a sauce to go with it while wearing an apron, I was pretty jealous.

The reason I wanted something warm is I seem to have either a proper English cold, or "freshers flu". So I don't feel very sick, but still kind of icky. My dad emailed me today that he was making corn and tomato soup, and I'd much rather have that.

I haven't had any real "British" cuisine, so I can't make a verdict on that yet. The one thing I will definitely miss, however, is their vast selection of yogurt. Every food shop I've been in has a TON of yogurt, in different sizes and flavours, full fat, low fat, no fat. They even have dessert yogurt...I saw one yesterday that had cake pieces in it. I'll also miss the aisles of tea, too.

One thing that I miss from home is New York apples. That is one of the best parts of fall. The apples here are good, but it's not the same.

The strangest food I've seen? Cheese and prawns in a tube; I think it's akin to cheese whiz. They are really big on prawns, I have also seen a lot of prawn mayonnaise sandwiches. The worst thing I've had to eat was macaroni and cheese out of a can. I bought it because I had never seen something like that before. My flatmates warned me when I was heating it up that it would be bad. And so it was.

My fingers are quite cold as my room has no heat, so I am going to drink a final mug of tea and toddle off to bed. I miss the lot of yous.

No comments: